Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Drama on the block!

Since Crazy Neighbor Lady moved away (check Nov and Dec for those entries), things have been boring. But there was always this other family I wondered about. No signs on the door - but I'll be watching for them! There's a slightly older guy - not "old" but certainly older than most of the people in this neighborhood, as this is an area for E1-E6's with 2-3 kids and most of the parents are in their 20s-30s. Not only is this guy older, he's got longish hair and looks kinda scruffy. He's usually barefoot, which I can understand and relate to. He's also usually wearing BDU or DCU (that's "green camo" or "desert/tan camo" for the non military types) pants that have been cut off into shorts, or else denim cutoffs. And he's almost always sitting out in a chair on the patio in front of the house. I've deduced that he must be the parent of the soldier or the soldier's wife. Parents are allowed to live in military housing if they're legally a dependant of the soldier, or if they know how to work the system right. Today, as I walked to check my mail, he yelled out to me, "this is a bad time of year to be pregnant!"
So anyway, I was just sitting here minding my own business when I saw flashing lights. I ran to the door to look out and make sure that no houses nearby were up in flames or anything, and saw an ambulance and several MP cars, and at the lightpost nearest to my house, sat a scruffy man. I later figured out it was that guy. A minute later, a firetruck pulled up. You'd think they'd just radio the fire station and say "nope, no fires here, no need to come out!" But no, they can't do that.
Around this time, Aaric noticed the lights because he can't bother staying in bed like he's supposed to. We both sat in the playroom peeking out through the blinds. The playroom works best because its upstairs and faces the front, so it gets us a much better birds eye view than anything downstairs. The first thing a nosey neighbor does upon moving into a new neighborhood is locate the best view. Aaric is even nosier than I am, though. When I left the room for a minute, he actually opened the window so we could hear. Smart kid!! Unfortunately, none of the 5000 people in front of our house had the decency to talk loud enough for us to hear over the ambulance engine. I mean, how rude!
So here's what I DO know:
Man was sitting, looking fairly relaxed and unharmed, with his back against the post, and his ankles crossed. I thought maybe he was cuffed there, but then saw him wave an arm. He was surrounded by a few MPs and other dudes. Younger adults who I assume are the kid/kid-in-law were standing outside of their house talking with MPs and some other dudes (drove civillian vehicles, wore dark clothes). Old guy was barefoot. The only words I did catch were old guy saying he wanted something and he was told they couldn't fit all of that in the ambulance. They did bring him what appeared to be a change of clothes, a sleeping bag, and a big Army duffel from the house. He wanted more. Then he was standing, and then he wanted to walk down and talk to the younger ones. I could barely see, as the house is a few down from mine and there isn't a light right there at their driveway, but I did see an MP jump in front of him at one point. When he came back by, he was in cuffs. Then they uncuffed him and put him on the stretcher and into the ambulance. They all gradually left, a couple cars at a time.
I shall be watching the paper to see if this makes it into the crime report section. And I shall be watching their house to see if they too put up signs in the door, like Crazy Neighbor Lady did.

No comments: