Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Playing Catch-Up

I've had a few entries floating around in my head for a while and keep forgetting them. So I'll be doing several in the next couple days.

Aunt Ruth
Late in November, my mom called to let me know that my great Aunt Ruth had pneumonia and had been admitted to the hospital. She'd been going downhill for a while, and I immediately knew this wasn't likely to turn out well. Then, they got approval to move her from her room in the assisted living part of the facility over to the nursing home side. Now, this woman was pretty resistant to going into assisted living. She wanted to go home. So, I knew she wouldn't be thrilled about this move. And then the next day, she died. You know, I kinda think she just said, "Screw that, I'm NOT going to the nursing home! Bye!"
She was a hilarious old lady. One of Michael's favorite pastimes, especially involving people who would never do such a thing, is to ask people when they're going to get a matching tattoo with him. Of all the people he's asked, she's the only one who has ever agreed to do it. She liked to humor him. As a kid, I loved going to her house. So many neat things that shouldn't be touched by rowdy kids. She lived in Missouri then, so I wasn't there often. My favorite thing to do there (other than play cards with the family) was to go in her bathroom. Yes, her bathroom. She had this big tray covered in little bottles of perfumes. I loved to go open them all and sniff. Now, I'd probably smell them and go, "ew, that smells like old lady perfume." But as a kid, I loved it all. I think of her when I watch Dancing With the Stars. I really don't know a lot about it, but I know she used to be into ballroom dancing, and watching the show, I try to picture her doing it. I'm assuming ballroom dancing was a bit different in her day, though!
She'll be missed, but I'm happy for her that her suffering is over. I imagine she's chatting and playing cards with her sister, my Grandma. You know, if they have cards in heaven. Maybe they're standing next to each other as they sing? Point is, I think she's happier now.


Grandpa
Grandpa's getting old, no doubt about it. His health hasn't been the greatest lately either, but he's still able to take care of himself just fine. This man cracks me up.
He had a portion of colon removed a couple weeks before Christmas, and after his release from the hospital, stayed with my parents for a few days. We were staying there also. It didn't take long for him to decide that he felt up to being on his own, so he got a ride home. He'd missed home, was almost giddy about it. Told us he was going to go in and kiss the walls of his home, sweet home.
So, this old man, with the gradually failing health that all old folks experience, who is the last of his generation left in this family (not that this means anything...) is concerned about whether he needs to buy a new TV so that he's all set for the all digital switchover in 2009. As Larry said, it's impressive that he assumes he'll be around. I think he'll get a new one soon. See, his remote control died (not just the batteries) so he bought a universal one. Then, you know that little box that picks up the signal from the remove control? It went out. Apparently he's not impressed.


Speaking of TVs
On the 1st, the kids and I returned to NC. Michael had to report to Benning on the 5th, so he just stuck around at my parents' house. He called me one day, and when I answered, he immediately said, "So, your parents' TV is gone."
Me - It's gone?
Him - Gone.
Me - Their TV is gone?
Him - yes, I just came in, and their TV is not there.
Me - Are you telling me that someone broke into my parents' house and stole their TV??
Him - It's gone. But sitting on the coffee table is a giant flat one.

I just hope the coffee table isn't still 18 inches from the sofa, because that sounds like a recipe for a headache!


UPDATE! In an interesting twist, Grandpa is moving in with Mom and Dad. Something about wanting company and worried that something would happen and he'd be alone, blah blah, blah... I maintain that he just realizes that this will save him from the agonizing TV decision. ;)

No comments: