These are very complicated gourmet dishes.
Ham and Cheese Stromboli:
Thaw Puff Pastry (directions say thaw on the counter for 40 minutes. Who has time for that!? Stick it in the microwave on low for a few minutes. Or, I did the chicken defrost setting for 4 minutes. worked fine) By the way, I only used 1/3 of the sheet for this.
Spread the pastry out and add a layer of ham, covering the whole thing.
Add a layer of shredded cheese of your choice. Italian blend is yummy.
Start at one end and roll it up.
Stick a pat of butter on top and bake it at 400 until it's brown on top and the cheese is all oozy.
Eat. Add marinara for dipping if you want. Either way, it's really good.
PB&J Strudel:
Get the other 1/3 of a sheet of pastry and spread it out.
Spread PB from end to end, but covering exactly isn't important because it'll ooze as it melts anyway.
Spread jam down the middle - it will also spread.
Roll it up, top with a pat of butter, bake at 400 until it's brown on top.
Eat.
Yum.
This is what happens when you watch Food Network and "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" is on, and they're all talking about filled foods - calzones, tamales, and stuff like that. And you start thinking about how good those all sound, and then remember you've got a puff pastry left in the freezer, from when you tried (and hated) the Puff Pastry around Brie recipe.
6 comments:
Actually, the PB one was a little dry. I need to work on that recipe. Maybe mix some cream cheese in and pinch the sides shut? And the jam wasn't that great in there either.
if i used 1/3 for the ham one, and 1/3 for pb&j, what should i do with the other third?!?
I have never used puff pastry... but right this minute something wrapped around melted cheese sounds fabulous. Thanks a lot for making me hungry at midnight!
Thought you were going to blog every day? Well, I have something to get you jumpstarted again. I tagged you - you're it.
yeah, yeah, we all know how great I am with follow through!
Larry - of course, you make another one with ham the next day. duh!
I love that show! You're brave for attempting some of the recipes I usually just watch it with a tub of ice cream in my lap lol
Post a Comment