Saturday, December 27, 2008

Because I always have to prove how smart I am

A few months ago, I was out running errands when the van started shaking a bit while idling. I decided I'd keep an eye on it, and went in Barnes and Noble. When I came out, it didn't want to crank, and finally did. It shook the whole way to the Kia dealership. They were able to fit me in, and the kids and I walked down the street to Target to hang out while we waited. It was some connector thingamajig that needed replacing, and all has been fine.

Last night, as we were out and about running a couple errands and getting dinner, it started shaking while idling. Then the check engine light started flashing. Off we went to the Kia dealership again. We actually needed to get it in the shop anyway, because someone slashed our tire a few weeks ago, and the electronic "low tire" indicator needs to be reset. Still, 5:30 on a the day after Christmas was not our ideal time to have to stop in.

They were nice enough to give us a loaner van for the weekend. I'm always the one to do the carseats, so, not taking my abnormal shape into consideration, I did it this time, too. The van they loaned us is another Sedona, but it's the 2005 short model, and we have the 07 long model. This translates into far less space to work with. I don't even know exactly when or how I did it, but I pulled a muscle or a tendon or a ligament, or something. I'm reminded of the time when I ran down the hill behind our old house at around 36-37 weeks and longed for a wheelchair. A few minutes ago, I just walked across the kitchen and suddenly the pain got worse.

And for the curious, no, of course we don't have a name yet. We had Aaric's name in mind, but were definitely not committed to it at all until he was born. Then it was kind of a shrug and a "well, I don't have anything better in mind. Do you? No? Okay, Aaric it is!" Sad, but true. With Xander, Alexander was one of the names we'd tossed around but we were still totally undecided until he was born. And for the next several hours. I recall Michael asking me about what to name him in the wee hours of the morning right after he was born (1 am), and I told him to leave me alone so I could sleep and that names could wait. So, it would be truly miraculous if we named this kid now, at a mere 35 weeks pregnant. Like I told my mom yesterday: To get him covered by insurance, we need to show a birth certificate within 90 days. Now, it does take a couple weeks to do that, so to be safe, we'll say we need the paperwork turned in to the county by 60 days. This means that we still have roughly 3 months to decide! There's no rush.

My family though, has taken it upon themselves to come up with names. Most recently, Jeeves. Jeeves Reeves. I think that my mother and her siblings are either on drugs, or need to be on some.

6 comments:

larryl said...

that was one of the better names they came up with.

i still say go to some of those old family names we found in the genealogy stuff!

mwr said...

I remember there being some awesomely bad girl names in there. Do you have a copy of the book? You provide me with a list of our crazy mountainfolk ancestors names, and I'll consider them. After all, Michael wants to make Lee the middle name for his ancestry!

mwr said...

Now, why am I logged into blogger as Michael? odd. I am not a Sgt. Actually, neither is he...

larryl said...

i'll have to find it... but i have plenty of time!

Christy Laster said...

lol!

so, is your van finally fixed now??

Kelly said...

Yep, we got the van back on Friday. And I very slowly and carefully put all the carseats back in there, with no new injuries. It was actually fixed by Wed afternoon, but then with New Years, the service dept was closed, so we didn't get it until Friday.