Saturday, April 12, 2008

He is now un-refluxed

So says the cystogram that they did immediately after doing the Deflux procedure. It took two vials of the gel stuff that they inject around the valve, to get it to work.

He did great. He took a little longer than the norm to wake up, but we're told he was perfectly fine. He was very much still asleep when we first saw him. Completely limp. It was weird.

Now, he's fine.

The fun part was pre-op. They gave him versed to make him a little loopy. They give it so that the little ones won't mind leaving their parents. After a minute he just seemed like Xander in a good mood. Nothing that wild and crazy, just a bit more enthusiastic with the fun computer game we were playing. A minute after that, he was still not really abnormal, but very laid back. Kinda like, "hey, look at the pretty colors..." you know, if he used full sentences. Really, he just sat there grinning, and let out a short little chuckle every once in a while. I was doubting whether it had worked, actually.

Then the nurses showed up to take him to the OR, and I put him up on the computer desk, and noticed that his balance was pretty bad. He was swaying a bit, and still, just grinning at us all. I put him on the bed. Before, he'd clung to me like a baby koala, but this time, he sat there smiling. I suggested that he lie back, nudged his shoulder, and he plopped on back there.

So, we kissed his little head and sent him on his way.

And a few hours post-op, after we were back home, I inspected all his little boo-boos. He was gassed and asleep before they even put the IV in, so he had no memory of those. But as I was removing the bandaids and talking to him about his owies, he suddenly reached down to his toe, and babbled off some long paragraph. I didn't catch it all, but I'll translate and paraphrase for you...

"And there was that weird thing on my toe! TAPED! To my TOE! That was seriously annoying, and I wanted it OFF! I better not EVER wake up again with stuff taped to my toes. I'd thought those anklets you put on me were bad, but anklets are nothing compared to things taped to my toe. OH, and what was up with my toe glowing bright red? It was just plain freaky. Seriously, never again."

Yeah, he was not a fan of that O2 monitor, and that's how I knew he was fully awake. He woke up, cried for a second, then started pulling on his toe. And a few hours later, he still remembered.

He was, of course, not thrilled with the, literally, toe-curling pain associated with peeing for the first few hours, either. Thankfully, that passed quickly, as did the bloody urine.

By bed time, he was 100% normal. He even peed in the potty again, and twice today. Oh! For the first time ever, he even intentionally climbed up onto the potty on his own free will, to pee. He's peed on command gracious plenty, but usually if he has to go, he goes where ever he happens to be standing. Floor, tub, diaper, whatever. But he chose to pee in the potty. At not even 19 months. The freak. He's out to beat Mikayla.

Also, I need to figure out how to get video footage of him with her new Fur Real Newborn Piglet. It's beyond adorable. He kisses it's nose.

The other kids are great, too, by the way. They had Nana and Granddaddy to themselves yesterday, so they got McDonalds and moon pies. Today they got Mikayla's birthday cake. Grandparents, McDonalds and sugar is a surefire recipe to my kids being happy. Happy, and hyper. A bit loud. Nana bought Mikayla a Disney Princess keyboard. It's also loud. Pray that it's batteries die quickly.

No comments: