Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I really am here.

I promise. Gotta get my scanner up and running and then I'll have a fun little story along with a picture. For today, just a couple things.
1. I found this poem just now. It should be renamed, "Kelly in 30 years." What a great opening line: When I am a grandmother I shall have a purple sling. I already have a cranberry batik, I say that's close enough to purple.

I've decided that I hate the TV. Actually, my particular hate here is harder to pin down. On the one hand, I think that all of the TV shows and commercials aimed at encouraging people to lose weight and get healthy are a great thing. If part of the obesity equation is that we have too many couch potatoes, then what better way is there to reach that audience? But I don't like the flip side. The flip side is that people with perfectly normal bodies get self conscious about their bodies for no good reason. Prime example:
Mikayla, giggling, as if she was just asking for a haircut, again: Mom, I need to lose weight!
Me, shocked, but figuring she really didn't understand what that even meant: Why do you want to do that?
Mikayla, still casual and laughing: Because I'm a little fat!

Yeah, I'll admit that every once in a while I pull up the growth charts and weight for height charts and see where the kids are at, just to stay mindful of it (they're both perfectly normal). I don't tell them about it though, and I certainly don't do anything to make them think they might have problems. I know that it came from the stupid Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers and Alli and every other weight loss program commercials.
I don't want to have to deal with body image issues with my 5 yr old! But what I DO want is to be able to watch TV from time to time. Maybe it's time for Tivo.

Xander. Well, he's just the cutest thing on the entire planet. I know none of you will admit it, because that would be rude, and one day your kids may google and find this and it would be sad if they saw that their mother admitted that someone else has the truly cutest baby on earth. But it's okay. I know you think he's the cutest ever, too. It'll be our little secret.

Pictures tomorrow. Or Thursday. Along with the Aaric story.

No comments: