Saturday, March 10, 2007

The joys of E coli

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for Friday morning. Xander woke up with a temperature around 104. That's not teething. So when I went in, I took him in with me and begged the doctor to check him out and test his pee.
It's another UTI. And when I was getting his new prescription filled at the hospital (yes, our pharmacy is in the hospital) I stopped by Medical Records to get copies of his lab work from the first one, to take in to his doctor next week. Turns out that last time, it was E coli. Also, they'd called to tell me that his blood tested positive as well (for bacteria, not e coli specifically) but that it could just be contamination from his skin. Well, I asked around and based on the bacteria that was found, apparently it was most likely not contamination, but he did actually have a blood infection. Which maybe explains the 107 temperature he'd had!
So he's now on his 2nd UTI in a month and 3rd round of antibiotics in the past 3 months.
I, by the way, am fine. Just a checkup! I'm not only still alive and healthy, but also didn't lose as much weight while sick as I thought I had, which is good. I had a few places that made me freak a bit that I'd spent way too much time in the sun as a teen, but she assures me that it all looks benign but she'll slice them off anyway. Because the residents need more experience in that area of treatment. Seriously. We've also got a plan for my insanity, I mean ADHD, and migraines. Best of all, she didn't make me do any bloodwork, so it was a needle free day.
Oh yeah, this means we'll get the joy of visiting a pediatric urologist and the nearest ones are about an hour away. I'm not at all excited about that.

No comments: