Saturday, September 02, 2006

Do they have boarding school for kindergartners?

When kids are 2 to 3, and even some at 4, they can talk and talk and talk and are satisfied with your nods and "hmmm" works as a response. By 6, they're asking constant questions that require not only answers, but answers which require thought. People who say that being a stay at home mom is a waste of an education are insane. Aaric asks me things that I don't know the answer to all the time. It's always at times when there is no computer nearby to look the answers up. Or, often, I know the answer but can't convince him and have no proof for him in the car. The real problem, though, isn't what he's asking, but that the questions never end. He just talks and talks and talks and never shuts up. Here are the topics which were covered and questions that were asked today, which made me start thinking that maybe sending him to boarding school so that he wouldn't talk so much that my ears start to ache on the weekends: (blue is Aaric, red is Mikayla, black is me)
The North Pole - "It's beautiful at the north pole in the summer when it all melts." No, it's always frozen at the north pole. It never melts." "Santa lives at the north pole!" "Yes it does, and its all beautiful when the snow melts." "No, Aaric, the snow NEVER melts!" "Is Santa real?" "UH-HUH!!! My teacher went there and she told me about it!!" "No, Mikayla. Aaric, the north pole is always frozen. It does not melt. Ever. Your teacher did not go to the north pole. People don't go there." "Yes, she did. blah blah blah" (because by that point, my brain was beginning to shut down) "Aaric, your teacher went to ALASKA!! I know, because I remember you telling me about it a while back. ALASKA! NOT the north pole. People DON'T go there! It's too cold." "Santa goes there." "Oh, Alaska? I thought it was the north pole. People do go there though." "Santa doesn't sleep." "Scientists go to the north and the south pole to study them, but most people don't go there. It's too cold to live there." "Because he's pretend." "How could you know, mom? You don't know! Because you've never been there! My teacher has."

There was more. But that all evolved into a discussion of polar bears. We discussed how polar bears walk on the ice. Am I the only one who finds it hard to explain things, not because they are too complicated, just because you can't figure out how a person wouldn't understand? There were lots of polar bear questions, though.

"Is there really a north star?" "Yes." "Does it really lead the way home?" "No, it just shows you where north is." I went on to briefly explain the basics of using the north star for navigational purposes, because the basics are all I know. And he goes on and on asking questions until I finally told him that I really just do not know as I am not trained in wilderness navigation.

Another problem is that not only does he ask 5903894 questions per day, he doesn't believe my answers, and he's very argumentative. He absolutely insists that I'm wrong, and that Halloween could not possibly have been almost a year ago, and therefore, we must be having it twice this year. At least I can appreciate his confusion over why there was Halloween candy in the stores in mid-August.

So, yes, there is a part of my brain that finds boarding school to be really really appealing. But there's another part of my brain that realizes that while he did ask a lot of questions, he's really just packing the same amount of questions into less time, now that he's away from me for 6 hours a day. And that his incessant talking has to do with the fact that he isn't with me all day and wants to spend time with me when he gets home and on the weekends. And a part of me really appreciates that. But the hormonal, irritable part of me really just wants some peace and quiet... mixed with a bit of guilt for thinking that I can't wait until I can send him back to school again on Tuesday. And of course, yes, there is still that part of me that wishes I could just keep him home all day every day. Except today.

Oh, and Mikayla talks a lot, too. But she says totally random stuff. She doesn't ask deep questions. Even when she does ask more serious questions, simple answers suffice, and usually she believes me.

2 comments:

larryl said...

i am familiar with the constant questions. they won't end anytime soon. and apparently, you become wrong even more often as time goes on.

i thought they were supposed to be teenagers before we became this dumb!

Kelly said...

For real! I thought that at the early elementary school age, they were still supposed to think we had all the answers! At least as teens, they just don't bother asking. But no! At this age, they feel the need to ask and then refuse to believe a word you say! Its totally not fair.