I went downstairs to make brunch for the kids, but found myself sitting at the table eating nachos and drinking a glass of tea when Aaric came down to see what was up. He was excited because we've got some bananas that are about as much brown as they are yellow, so I offered to make banana bread. He says that MY banana bread (note, MINE, not just any banana bread, but MINE) is his favorite food in the whole world. He loves it more than popcorn with extra butter. Just saying those words was enough to convince me to make a batch. So when he came down to see if I'd started yet, I looked up with a guilty face. I apologized and told him that I just felt like I really needed to eat. It was true - I'd suddenly realized that I felt a bit weak and parched and knew I needed to get some calories in me, and quickly. I barely ate yesterday, and truly needed food. Luckily, he was very understanding. We have this book, Baby on the Way, that tells all about whats up with Mommy and how things are changing. Mommy needs to eat more, may get tired more easily, may need to prop her feet more, may puke a bit, and so forth. So he asked if I needed to eat more for the baby. "Oh good," I thought. "He gets it."
I smiled and told him yes, then offered him some of my chips. As we snacked (with poor hungry Mikayla playing upstairs), he asked why I needed to eat more for the baby, and why I'd be more tired. I explained about how even if I'm just sitting in a chair, a lot is going on inside, my body is always busy working on the baby, so more food give my body the energy to do that. And gaining weight makes it harder to move around, and extra blood makes it harder for my heart. Then I mentioned that as I got further along, I'd have a harder time sleeping too, because when the baby moved around, it would keep me awake.
Thats when we were back in familiar territory. He's heard me talk about how it felt when he and Mikayla wiggled around inside of me. When some women tell about their babies moving, they talk about how sweet and beautiful and reassuring it is. I begged my two to PLEASE just be still! Mikayla wasn't so bad. But Aaric was a different story. He was born at 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 1/4 inches long. I started out around 110 lbs with about a 25 inch waist. Not only was he big and I small, he was strong. That child was born with the muscle tone of a 3-4 month old, and yes, we're sure he wasn't overdue. He could hold his head up at the hospital. All of that translates into this: When he kicked, rolled, and wiggled, it was quite painful. He'd wiggle his elbow against my side and I felt like he was trying to dig a tunnel to get out. He'd kick as if he were playing soccer in there. And when he rolled, I thought my insides were turning inside out. In short, it really wasn't fun after a while. Aaric has heard all of this. So here's the conversation:
Aaric - Oh yeah. Did you not sleep much when I was in there?
Me - Oh, no, I didn't get much sleep at all. You moved too much.
Aaric - And I was big.
Me - Yes, you were a big baby.
I demonstrated on my body how he'd taken up every spare inch between my chest and my hips and stuck "out to there."
Aaric - So it hurt you when I moved.
Me - OH YEAH.
Aaric - Well, mom, I sure am sorry about that.
I laugh.
Aaric - But I WAS just a little baby. I didn't know!!
I assured him that I lived through it and recovered just fine.
Speaking of babies and movements, the tiniest member of the family is actually making itself known. Still no visible proof, but I've felt a few flutters. The flutters are very very low, so it seems that I've been right all along and this baby has positioned itself as low and far back as possible. Make yourself at home kid - just please be gentle with my ribs when you get a bit bigger!
No comments:
Post a Comment