Thursday, January 08, 2009

Like Father, Like Son... and Daughter

So, I'm using Hypnobabies this time, as I'd sorta tried to do with Mikayla. To give a tiny summary, the home study course includes a big book with 5 weeks of lessons in healthy pregnancy and birth and information about hypnosis. It's not all freaky like the stuff you see on TV - in true hypnosis, you will not do anything that you don't want to do, and are actually more in control, because you're working to tap into your subconscious. The course also comes with a set of CDs that I listen to, where Kerry, the founder (and she totally rocks, she actually called me on the day I was in labor with Mikayla to make sure I'd gotten some extra stuff she'd sent) is reading "scripts" which basically train me to relax more deeply. While not all women get it, some do experience pain-free childbirth. While listening to these CDs you enter hypnosis, and fully relax the entire body, without moving at all. On one CD, though, there are Joyful Pregnancy and Birthing Affirmations. Just a CD full of nice, positive thoughts about pregnancy and birth. You do not enter hypnosis for those, you just listen while going about chores or "playing quietly with your children" (where do people get these quiet-playing children I keep hearing about?) There are no cues on that CD to fully relax or be still or anything.

Okay, so that background info out of the way...
A few nights ago, I'd put the Joyful Pregnancy CD in while I was folding clothes on the bed, and then got up to go get the kids in bed. I saw Michael walk by while I was in Mikayla's room, and later heard a thud. It was like 10 minutes later when I went in our bedroom, to find Michael lying on the floor. He informed me that he couldn't move, as he'd been hypnotized and was now fully relaxed and unable to move. I think it was later that night, with the same CD, that he informed me that he could feel his birthing canal opening. He likes to support and mock all at once.

So, one CD that you're not to listen to until full term is the Birth Day Guide, which you should listen to while in labor. Once you're full term, you should listen to it once just to make sure that it's all there and not defective. Today, I decided to stick it in while I clean the kitchen, and the kids are working on school stuff. The music comes on, and immediately, both of them cross there legs with their hands up in the air in the classic "oohmmm" position. They are definitely their father's children.

Had to update to add more in:
We were listening to the Joyful Pregnancy one in the car today. Mikayla was back in the "ohm" position the whole time. The program talks a lot about creating a "Bubble of Peace" around you. So, at one point when she's talking about the bubble, Aaric says, "Better hope there are no pins nearby!"

And then later, not relating to Hypnobabies, but another example of how alike they are: I was telling the kids that we're now on the waiting list for another house (long story) and that there are 2 people ahead of us on the list, so we have to wait for 2 people to move out, then the next one available is ours. Michael mentioned earlier today that maybe we could get some of the people in that neighborhood kicked out of housing (he was joking, we wouldn't do that!) So, when I told the kids about moving sometime, Aaric said, "can we go bribe some of them to move out sooner?" When I told him that Daddy joked about getting them kicked out, he said, "Oooh, yeah, I could go yell at them and get them to hit me, and then we'd call the MPs!!"

(The short version is that ALL of our friends in this neighborhood are leaving, the new neighbors are not neighborly at all. We're not moving up to the houses way on the north side, but we will get a fairly new house (couple years old) here on post. It'll either be a couple blocks down from our last house, or up on the north side of base, but ON base, not 15 minutes north of the gate. They're nice and pretty and big. I just wish that they were in a location like we're in now - lots of trees, lots of yard, plenty of room to run. These are closer together and with less "green space." )
Meanwhile, my BP and swelling are not getting any better no matter how much protein and fluids I get, so Lulu has recommended some herbs to urge this baby on out. We'll be doing Evening Primrose Oil Monday night, then start black and blue cohosh on Tuesday. Now, I took some black cohosh while in late pregnancy with Aaric, but had researched just enough to know it was considered to be a safe induction herb, but not enough to really know how much to take. I was taking like, 1 or 2 a day. But what I recall is that they gave me awful tasting burps. My instructions now are to take these herbs hourly. Yum. Should be fun. I'm hoping he'll decide to come on out before I have to start those!
So, hopefully just another week, maybe less. More if he's just not ready yet.

1 comment:

Christy Laster said...

kelly, you are soooo funny! i told your mom today that you should seriously (ya know, in your "free time") write a book...haha! i enjoy reading your stuff...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! hope it's been a great one so far and that things continue to go well for you.

LOVE YA!