Monday, September 29, 2008

I think my brother is giving Aaric lessons in evil

I say evil, because that's Mikayla's adjective that she thinks best fits Aaric. Last Sunday, when I was a bad mom and forgot to give her the run down on how her first Sunday going to the big Children's Worship in the fellowship hall work (their Sunday School teacher takes them down to the fellowship hall and leave them there, and she had no clue that it would happen, and that I wouldn't be involved in the process), she sat and cried and then talked with one of our friends, who was leading their service that day. That might have been a bad run-on sentence. Oh well. (<-- fragment. I can't help it, I've been influenced by Mikayla's reading books. I'd type up a story here, if it weren't copyright infringement. They drive me crazy.) Anyway, this friend asked me yesterday if I knew that Aaric is evil. I said "yes, and here's an example." And then I told him the following story:

Wednesday night, I was getting ready to leave for church, and told the kids to stay inside while I finished up. I heard a door, but we're late every single Wednesday night, so I just rushed to finish up. Aaric came running up to me gleefully, and chirped, "Mom! Mikayla is outsi-ide." You know, nice and sing-songy, clearly enjoying the trouble that Mikayla was about to get into. I was dressed, so I went down and looked at the back door. It was locked, but the back gate was open. Interesting. I sure thought it was the back door that I heard open up. No Mikayla, though. So, I went to the front door, went out, and saw her ringing a neighbor's doorbell. I called her home, and asked why she was over there. "Aaric locked me out!" Oh. Well, that makes more sense. I covered the fact that we also have a doorbell, and that if she's locked out, the logical solution would be to ring the doorbell at our house, not skip off to play with friends. Aaric smirked. My brain has blocked out all the other evil things he'd already done that day, but suffice it to say that he was not exactly on my good side to start with.

But yes, he saw her go out, and then locked the door to ensure that she'd have to leave the fenced back yard in order to get back in, thus maximizing her chances of getting caught. I think that's a fairly diabolical plan for an 8 year old to come up with. Which is why I'm sure it's something Larry suggested to him. Or it could have been Uncle Paul. Both of them are well known for their meanness toward their little sisters. Except that Aunt Becky and I never did anything to deserve such treatment, and Mikayla definitely does.

2 comments:

larryl said...

i would like to point out that aunt becky is crazy. this is well known. also, you were a mean little child, contrary to what you have told your daughter. and she believes me, anyway. which says a lot.

finally, had i suggested that to aaric, you would been mid-shower, when he approached you with the alarming news that mikayla was wandering the neighborhood.

wait; did i just acknowledge my diabolicalness?

Kelly said...

I know better than to attempt to shower while the children are awake. So, see, you probably did tell him that, and he looked and looked for the opportunity, but finally decided that I just don't bathe and gave up.