You're all going to love me for this, I just know it.
I can't help it, I'm a label reader. I don't care how many calories or fat grams, though I do take notice of protein and sodium and saturated fat. What I care about is the ingredient list.
Now, I've made various peanut butter treats in my lifetime. And I've made cookies. So I'm fairly certain that you could make a cookie with a layer of peanut buttery goodness and then cover it in chocolate without using any of the following:
any hydrogenated oil
corn syrup
high fructose corn syrup
corn syrup solids
red #40 lake
yellow #5 lake
blue #2 lake
Yet, all of those are included in the Girl Scouts' Peanut Butter Patties. You've seen them before, right? Do you see any red, yellow, or blue? Why exactly were those needed? And in a cookie coated in a chocolate-like shell, shouldn't cocoa make up more than 2%? There is something wrong with this picture.
Moving along to the PB sandwiches, I'll just say that they have much of the same, minus the cocoa, and minus the food coloring. They chose to go with caramel and annatto instead.
I don't care about Caramel deLites/Samoas, but I'll tell you that they have all the same nastiness, too.
Lemonades are Mikayla's favorites, and they do have the hydrogenated oils, but amazingly, no high fructose corn syrup. Less protein, though. Because, you know, no peanut butter.
Lastly, of the ones I bought, Thin Mints. Oh, my sweet thin mints. I am pleased to see that cocoa is higher ranking. But they are full of partially hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup.
I shouldn't have looked.
The good news is, Newman's Own makes Newman O's, and they have a mint one, and it tastes almost the same.
So, the Girl Scouts are evil because their yummy cookies could be healthier and aren't.
In related news, I'm so over fast food, other than Chick fil A (and they bug me because their stuff is fried in peanut oil). I've had Arby's, Wendy's, Taco Bell, and KFC lately, and all of them were gross. Someone needs to start a healthy fast food chain, so that when Mommy doesn't feel like cooking or ordering pizza or going out to a nice restaurant, she has decent options!
1 comment:
1. thin mints are almost as good as key lime pie, and i don't care what's in them. speaking of which, i need some key lime pie.
2. taco bell will be served in heaven, i'm pretty sure.
Post a Comment