Last year, someone gave Gabriel a stuffed dog that sings for Christmas. He's dressed in Christmas attire, and his ears flop.
We have so so many stuffed animals. I never ever buy them because they get so many from other people. I get rid of them whenever I can. So naturally, this one was never even presented to the child. He was a year old, he had no clue it had even entered the house, so I stashed it safely in my closet.
A couple days ago, I sorted through some boxes of clothes to take to Once Upon a Child to sell. I pulled out the dog to toss it in the yard sale pile. The kids discovered it. It's played several times in the last few days. I stuck it up on my dresser hoping they'd forget.
A while ago, Gabriel was napping and I was cuddling with him, trying to recover from a very late night of taking Michael to and picking him up from the ER. The big kids came in and saw the dog, and made him sing. I demanded that they turn it off, and said it was hitting the trash immediately.
A little while later, Gabriel woke up. He immediately wanted to nurse. I'm tired. He didn't sleep so well last night after we got back from the ER and woke me up far too often, wanting to nurse. He's not quite skilled enough in just doing it on his own and letting me sleep. So, I just really didn't feel like nursing right then, and told him no. He whined for a second, and then spotted the dog and grinned.
Suddenly, my outlook changed. "You want the dog instead? Sure, let me turn him on for you!!"
He's been entertained for the past 10 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment