Thursday, June 25, 2009

Enjoying it While I Can

After Michael spent most of last year away, we've spent most of this year in catch-up mode. After Aaric's big accident last year, I just pretty much held my breath until Michael got home. Holding on for dear life, hoping nothing else bad would happen. Once he was back, we could finally move on. Things moved on quickly - shortly after his return, we went home for a visit and then there were the various holiday parties to attend, and then the impending birth, then a new baby to get everyone adjusted to. Since then, instead of "holding on for dear life" it's been more like "flying by the seat of our pants!"
I have still not finished up our school year. I think we'll just cover stuff when we can, and not stress about it. They can't play outside all day when the heat index is so high in the middle of the summer anyway.

Today, Gabriel is 5 months old. In just 3 hours, I can go get my big kids. I got a letter in the mail from Mikayla yesterday. I'll be surprised if one shows up from Aaric.

Michael has been acting commander (and XO) for a bit, and today was a change of command ceremony, so he was standing in as the commander for his company. I'd never been to a change of command, and he asked if I could come. He wanted Xander to see it, too. Xander liked the drums - it was a big to-do, complete with an Army band. We got to see Michael, leading his company, marching by the new commander. It was nice. I wasn't able to get pictures, I was too busy dealing with the boys, and trying to get Xander to see where I was pointing. Telling a toddler where to look is frustrating. It would have been nicer if it hadn't been so hot. But I wore a dress, and very carefully squatted down beside Xander in the stroller, and some nice gentlemen offered their chairs. I'm making a note of that - wear a dress to events, and you're more likely to be offered a seat. Especially if you're also holding a baby. Don't wear high heels though, because I did that once and was not offered a seat, and my feet hurt.

But at big military events like this, the word "deployment" always comes up. Whether referring to past ones or future ones, it comes up. Even when it's not being discussed, it's on everyone's minds. Michael will be going sometime early next year. I'm not ready. I feel like we just got him back (even though he wasn't deployed - and the 82nd DID just come home a year ago and is about to leave again) and we're just now starting to feel normal again, and we're getting ready for him to leave again. I'm dreading it. I'm very, very thankful that I know I have many friends here, who will help keep me sane.

I generally try not to think about it. So for now, I'll just enjoy having all 6 of us together for a few months, and hope that next year won't be as dramatic as last year!

1 comment:

Andysbethy said...

Don't think about the "D" word when you don't have to... you will have plenty of time to stress about it when the time comes.
Like you said, enjoy it while you can!
Sounds like you have plenty of good things to enjoy right now - your stories always crack me up, so keep them coming, please!