I had an update in mind, and it was to be titled, "Oh, the lazy days of summer." I was going to discuss how they opened our new neighborhood center on Saturday, including the fitness center with windows into a kids play area, conference rooms, game room, and best of all, the pool. I was going to tell you about how when I finally drove over there on Tuesday to get our pool pass, I set the trip odometer, and its around 0.35 miles, which I would usually walk with no problem. But that this summer, in my extreme laziness, I think we'll be driving to the pool. That IS one way, by the way. I figure that if we walk to the pool and then swim and then walk back home, by the time we got home, I'd be ready for another swim.
But, for one thing, I don't feel lazy - I feel tired. Its Vacation Bible School week at our church, and I'm teaching a class of two year olds. Granted, I have the smallest class. I have 7-9 kids each day, and other classes have more like 15. The class across the hall has two year olds, but I have the YOUNG two year olds. There is a major difference between kids who just turned 2 and ones who are about to turn 3. They gain a lot of attention span in that year. They also like to be held and "honey, Mrs Kelly is already holding one baby" makes no sense to them. They don't care about that bulge on my abdomen - partly because 2 year olds are wired to be way too self absorbed to care about the strange shapes of others. Shoot, half of them call me "mommy," so they just aren't terribly perceptive at this age! So anyway, working with a class of two year olds, as cute as they are, is tiring. I LOVE two year olds! I love them even more when they are in limited quantities and have their mommy nearby. No really, I'm having fun. But it IS tiring. This is why I'm not a preschool teacher, other than my own kids.
Due to that tiredness/laziness, even after getting the pool pass, we hadn't been to the pool. I was excited about going yesterday, but by the time I came home and recuperated and begged the kids to clean up, I had moved into the "I'm going to the pool and thats FINAL!!!" stage of the game. I was just annoyed that there is a pool that close and I hadn't been yet. But then we discovered a problem - Aaric's swimsuits were missing. We searched and searched, but found no suits.
Today looked like it would be similar. I locked myself out of the van this morning, so we had to wait for Michael to come to rescue us. He didn't answer his phone all morning though, and then couldn't make it until 1:30 - an hour after VBS ends. I understood of course - he'd been out playing (jumping) with The Golden Knights and was therefore, preoccupied. Understandable.
We got home and ate lunch and then resumed the search for the swim trunks. I finally found them - still in the plastic bag of dirty clothes from when they were at my mom's house last week. Oops. Both of them were in there, and both stunk.
So I pulled out the soccer shorts. We got dressed and gathered our towels and headed out the door.
The pool is wonderful. There's the "zero level" section, which has fountains that squirt up from the edge and one of those big umbrella looking things with water flowing over the top of it making a circular waterfall. That gradually deepens to an area of 2 ft deep water. That then deepens to a very big section of 3.5 ft deep water. There are a few small areas that are 3 ft, but the vast majority is 3.5. There's one section, not very big, that is 5 ft. Its perfect for the kids. They had a blast. Aaric, who was very afraid of the water and clung to me when we went to the pool on Memorial Day, gained a ton of confidence and skills in his 4 days at Grandma's house last week. I'm sure his 7 year old, swimming like a fish, cousin helped that along. He lacks technique - but hey, he's not clinging to me like an insane little monkey, so we're good. Mikayla did great too. In fact, she got annoyed when I tried to hold onto her. Both of them are annoyed that I have made a rule that they must both stay near me at all times. Sorry, I'm just not ready to send them off to swim around in the very very large 3.5 ft section with me sitting on the sidelines! Feel free to call me overprotective. Its BIG, okay!
So, all went well. Until we discovered that it was almost 5. We're out of food around here, and its payday, so we're going out to eat when Michael gets home. So we headed to the chair where our stuff was. Aaric did okay - but he did keep flirting with the "shoreline" as I tried to get them to dry off. Mikayla acted like she was going to come, and then went back out into the water. I already had on my flip flops and had my towel around my not-a-waist. These flip flops have no traction on the bottoms at all. I chased her to the waterfall thing and then she finally ducked back out of there and as I turned to follow her back up to the shoreline fountains, there in the ankle-deep water, I fell.
I promise I'm fine. The two ladies standing nearby almost had heart attacks. No one wants to see a pregnant lady go crashing to the ground. The only parts of my body to actually come into contact with the ground with any force were the back of my hand and my elbow. I assume my leg hit too, but I didn't notice. I was mainly mad that I was soaked again, and so was my towel, and that my evil little child was actually making me chase her at the pool. I dried off with her towel and then marched them to the car. I was reminded of when a very pregnant Liz fell on the ground. I was thankful that I was certain that the baby was fine, as the trunk of my body didn't take any of the impact at all. I also ranted a bit to Mikayla about following directions and not running away from me at the pool and that falling down isn't good for the baby. I also told her that we weren't going to the pool tomorrow, but then realized that I was NOT taking away MY pool time! So we'll go tomorrow, but she gets time out.
Now, if Michael will ever get home, we'll go eat.
My hand's a bit swollen, by the way. Not the whole thing, but you know that one main vein that runs from your wrist to your hand and then splits off? I hit my hand RIGHT on that vein, at the first major fork-off, and a little 1 square cm area is swelling. :(
2 comments:
why are there 5 updates that are the same? Mom
Ah! I'll fix that. Yesterday, it was only showing the one. I'd submitted and it kept saying there was an error and to try again. I guess blogger finally let all of them through at once!
Post a Comment